Our Road

Josh and I were married in December of 2003 between semesters at BYU (which is where we met). I am a Northern California girl and Josh is from freezing cold Minnesota. Utah seems to be our middle ground. We are a bit goofy and adventurous and try to work hard. A few years ago we bought a small fitness center and have been figuring that out ever since. We both have amazingly supportive and loving families and strong testimonies in our Savior. We are also unable to have biological children of our own. We have been approved through LDS Family Services for a year and a half and we are still looking for our first child. I started this blog as a place for my feelings and experiences while I travel down this road as a way to help me deal and make sense of it all. I also hope that maybe others in similar situations might know that they are not alone.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

In Pursuit of Other Dreams



As I have previously mentioned, I have done a lot of "waiting for my life to start." I thought that by pursuing other dreams I would realize that my heart really is still beating and that I do have the control to make some of my other dreams come true. This is Precious. She is a morgan/draft mix and she is teaching me how to jump. I just had my third lesson on Friday. I love it! It is fun, challenging, exciting... I was never really able to ride as a kid. And so it wasn't until college that this horse crazy girl got to start riding. Poor Josh never knew this side of me! When I graduated from college Josh bought me my first horse. And as much as I loved Sox, he was not a good fit for me. Our first wild ride (after he was my horse) ended with me in a pile on the ground and a cracked helmet. It has taken me years to get over the memory of being on a very fast runaway horse and the lack of memory of landing. But I still have this NEED to be around horses. The world just looks better from the back of a horse!

I sold Sox last year to a home that was a better fit for him. I actually rode less when I owned my own horse because I could never trust the poor guy. I am playing with the idea of buying another horse. I want to have the freedom to ride whenever I want. I love getting out on the trail and just going for miles. I feel like all of my worries and fears are left at the trailer and I get to just be me for a while. Horses are great therapy! When you ride you have to be the leader. It takes me out of the victim role that is so easy to fall into sometimes. When I am riding, I have control over my life. When I am riding, I am free. (If you have any doubts just look at the goofy grin on my face!)

No comments:

Post a Comment