Our Road

Josh and I were married in December of 2003 between semesters at BYU (which is where we met). I am a Northern California girl and Josh is from freezing cold Minnesota. Utah seems to be our middle ground. We are a bit goofy and adventurous and try to work hard. A few years ago we bought a small fitness center and have been figuring that out ever since. We both have amazingly supportive and loving families and strong testimonies in our Savior. We are also unable to have biological children of our own. We have been approved through LDS Family Services for a year and a half and we are still looking for our first child. I started this blog as a place for my feelings and experiences while I travel down this road as a way to help me deal and make sense of it all. I also hope that maybe others in similar situations might know that they are not alone.

Friday, July 2, 2010

My Purpose


I think the hardest thing for me has been struggling with what, I feel, is my purpose. What I feel I should be doing with my life right now. If you look at my 5th grade yearbook under my picture where it lists our aspirations, mine says "homemaker." I spent my whole life planning, preparing and anticipating, what I still feel to be, the most important thing that I will do with my life. I have gone through periods where I feel that my life has no purpose because my life hasn't gone as I have planned. So often I feel like I am just resentfully killing time, forced to wait for my "real" life to start.

I know that this is not the case. I am living a full life. I have the most wonderful husband ever. Let's face it, not everyone gets to be married to their best friend. I run a business that is a great thing for our community and am preparing a future for our family. I am in the best shape of my life and have started running 5ks in addition to weight training, yoga, and an occasional Zumba class. I finally started jumping lessons which has been a life-long dream for this horse-crazy girl. I have an incredible family, and supportive friends. I have been to amazing places like China, Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii. I am a girl truly blessed.

I was talking to my mom about this, saying that I knew I had a good life, but I was just having a hard time not being able to do what I really want to be doing with my life. She responded by saying that she really didn't raise me to do anything else. The truth of that statement hit home and I have thought about it a lot. It's not that I have been "groomed" for something others wanted for me. I have never wanted anything else for myself. And living in Utah just drives it home even more. But I have to consider that fact that since mommy-hood is still up in the air with no delivery date that this is really where I need to be in my life, even if it's not exactly what I want.

I know that I am the daughter of a loving and mindful Father in Heaven. I know that He knows what is best for me. And if I am not a mommy yet, there must be some very good reasons for it. Maybe there are other purposes for a young married woman living in Utah. I have fought some of the roles I have been playing for so long, simply because they are not the ones I want most. But maybe they are enough for now. Running our business has been a struggle for me, but is made worse by my attitude and bitterness towards the fact that I am not living "my" life, or the life I had always planned and prepared myself to live.

Right now, my life that I am living is my purpose. And it's a good one. I am a wife. I am a yoga instructor. I am a personal trainer. I am a business owner. I am in the stake young women's presidency. I am a daughter, a sister and a friend. I do have a purpose, lots in fact. And they are good. And for now, in this season of my life, it is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment